Since the first Earth Day in 1970, people from all over the world have come together on April 22nd to celebrate our planet and to commit to protecting it for future generations. Today, Earth Day is celebrated by people in over 190 countries, raising awareness about threats to the environment, and to encourage people to take action in their daily lives to make a difference.
Taking Small Steps Can Make a Big Impact.
Here are a few ideas for how to celebrate Earth Day year-round:
- Reduce, reuse and recycle. This is one of the most important things that people can do to help the environment. By reducing the amount of waste that we produce, we can conserve resources and reduce pollution.
- Conserve energy. This can be done by turning off lights when you leave a room, unplugging appliances when you're not using them, weatherizing your home and using energy efficient appliances.
- Conserve water. This can be done by taking shorter showers, fixing any leaks in your home and watering your lawn less often.
- Walk, bike or take public transportation whenever possible. This will help to reduce air pollution and traffic congestion.
- Support businesses that are committed to sustainability. When you shop, choose businesses that are using sustainable practices. They may use recycled materials, compost food waste, or have other environmentally friendly practices in place.
- Get involved in your community. Volunteer for an environmental organization, attend city council meetings, or even start your own environmental group.
- Plant a tree. Trees are essential for our planet. They provide us with oxygen, they help to clean the air, and they help to prevent soil erosion.
Let's make Earth Day every day.